October 21, 2020
50 Facebook Advertising Statistics in 2020
By far, Facebook is still the most popular social media platform to date. With its capacity to provide both social media users and brands a robust channel to connect and market simultaneously, understanding the many statistics produced by the platform is critical to any brand.
To allow you and your brand make better marketing decisions, we have put together a list of all the most important Facebook advertising statistics of 2020.
We break down all essential stats and facts into the following headings:
- Facebook Users
- Facebook Ad Competition
- Phone Call Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Facebook Traffic
- Ad Impression
- Facebook Video Content
Facebook Users Statistics
Inarguably, Facebook covers a vast and highly engaged user-base across the world. With that, here are relevant figures to back you up.
- From 2019, Facebook’s daily active users reached 1.59 billion, an 8% increase from the previous year. Subsequently, they reached 2.41 billion active users monthly.
- In the western landscape, roughly 70% of all adults are Facebook users, with their user base continuously expanding year after year.
- Facebook users check their feed about 8 times every day, implying high engagement activities and content sharing.
- Mobile users account for 88% of Facebook’s total users, making it crucial to optimise your web design for mobile devices.
- On average, mobile users spend 57 minutes every day on Facebook, significantly higher than the time they spend on news, shopping, and streaming apps.
- Facebook users within the age group of 65 years and older grew from 26% to roughly 40% in the last year.
- Consequently, the population of teenage Facebook users decreased from 71% to about 52%. However, their numbers remain significantly larger than the adult age group.
- Facebook users in the Asia-Pacific region take the lion’s share of 41.3% of active users monthly. However, more than 48% of Facebook’s Ad revenue is coming from the United States and Canada.
- 74% of high-income users are active on Facebook, giving it more reach than LinkedIn users, while 83% of high-income earners use YouTube.
- 88% of Facebook users say that they use the platform mainly to communicate with friends and family or getting in touch with colleagues.
Ad Competition Statistics
Like Google, YouTube, and other online platforms, Facebook’s organic reach is drastically increasing. As a result, the competition among Facebook Ads is becoming tougher than ever. Here are some stats to tell you more.
- A Facebook post has an average organic reach of about 6.4% of page likes. To gain more eyes on your ads, you need to spend on a paid boost and improve your reach.
- On average, an organic Facebook post can have roughly 3.92% engagement rate. This is crucial in driving your content’s reach without spending more on your ads.
- Facebook tops the charts of social media marketers with 93% of them using Facebook paid ads than other social platforms.
- In terms of Facebook ad activities, 64% of social media marketers will ramp up their funding and performance in 2020, further intensifying the competition.
- In 2019, Facebook ad spending amounted to AU$36.02 billion, a significant increase from 2016 which is about 107%.
- Across most industries advertising on Facebook, the average cost-per-action is about A$26.32.
- A Facebook ad’s average click-through-rate is only 0.9%, with retail and legal services having the highest CTR. Finance and job training fall under the lowest rates.
- In terms of eCommerce ads, 26% of users click on Facebook ads to make a purchase.
- The ideal Facebook ad title has a maximum of four (4) words, perfect for targeting people with short attention spans.
- Last year, mobile advertising revenue accounted for 94% of Facebook’s total advertising revenue.
Call Marketing Statistics
It’s almost a no-brainer to use Facebook ads in streamlining other marketing strategies, including telephone marketing or telemarketing. That said, here are some stats and facts about Facebook Call Marketing in 2020.
- Facebook ads, especially in mobile devices, generated more than 36 billion calls to enterprises last year. After engaging with call-to-action buttons and landing pages, online users often call the companies for inquiries.
- Telemarketing through Facebook ads influenced AU$1.41 trillion, making it an excellent way to convert consumers online.
- Facebook calls convert to 10-15 times more revenue than web leads, making it the most valuable conversion channel for Facebook advertisers. You can also track calls driven from your Facebook ads to measure your exact ROI and optimise your strategy accordingly.
- When investing in Facebook ads, you can convert users 30% faster than having them follow your web leads.
- Retaining your customers through calls from Facebook ads is 28% easier than that with web leads. You can also boost Facebook ads for longer, making them profitable in the long run.
Facebook Content Marketing Statistics
- Every day, Facebook has more than 150 million users viewing Facebook Stories. Facebook Stories is a relatively new feature, but it shows significant potential for marketing.
- More than 40% of active Facebook users follow brand pages for product updates and find something to pique their interests.
- Facebook ads influence online shopping decisions for 25% of active users every day.
- On average, the organic reach for total Facebook page likes is approximately 5%. You can increase your reach by understanding how to engage with users and develop interesting content.
- According to study, 87.1% of marketers will adopt into Facebook marketing in 2020, a slight increase from 86.8% last year.
- Facebook’s average cost per ad increased to 15% in the second quarter of last year.
- Facebook ads with three (3) or lower Ad Relevance Scores cost significantly higher than ads with a score of 8.
- Building a brand following in Facebook is a slow game, with the average change in page likes at 0.13% per month.
Facebook Traffic Statistics
- Facebook records the highest traffic during mid-day Wednesday and Thursday. With that, the best time to update your Facebook page is between 11 am to 2 pm during these days.
- Study shows that the average time users spend on Facebook decreased by almost 2% lower than the previous years.
- Instagram Stories are highly popular, but Facebook Stories grow as a substantial marketing strategy, giving it more than 300 million active viewers daily.
- More than half (53%) of adult Facebook users have no idea how their newsfeed works, nor how it chooses which content to display in their feeds. Consequently, 59% of teens claim to have a good understanding of the Facebook algorithm.
Facebook Ad Impression Statistics
Streamlining compelling and remarkable ads on Facebook can give a lasting impression for your target audience. Here are the latest and most relevant stats and facts about Facebook Ad impressions to reinforce your marketing strategy.
- Only 6% of Facebook’s ad revenue comes from desktop-users. For mobile, Facebook earns a whopping 94% from ad revenue.
- On average, a Facebook Ad has a cost-per-click of about AU$2.42. You can use this as a benchmark to determine a good and bad ROI.
- By the end of last year, Facebook’s ad impressions reached 37%. Now’s a great time to invest in Facebook ads, especially if you utilise Facebook Sponsored posts and Stories altogether.
Facebook video stats
- Video content on Facebook accounts for about 11% of the total posts and 8 billion views every day. This is a remarkable content to leverage in marketing as users tend to engage in video content more than plain text.
- Consequently, video content optimised for mobile devices can garner a higher engagement rate than in wider screens.
- 85% of Facebook users prefer video ads without sound. That’s because they find the imagery and visuals more important, especially if you add captions on your video content.
- Facebook users would watch live streams four times more likely than recorded streaming videos. Aside from that, live streams provide better engagement and perform better with Facebook’s
- Videos in a square frame generate 35% more views than widescreen and landscape video content in Facebook.
- Moreover, engaging with your audience on Facebook using a square video costs 7.5% less than with a wide video for both mobile and desktop platforms.
- Optimising your videos for mobile can drive 27% higher brand lift than non-optimised content. Besides, mobile-first video content is responsible for more than half of Facebook’s video revenue.
- On average, Facebook’s Video content has a 6.13% consumer engagement rate than the average rate of 3.6% for all types of content.
- Every year, Facebook can earn up to 40% of advertising revenue from digital display, a huge leap from Google’s 12%. For mobile ads, Facebook covers roughly 58% and 75% for social media advertising.
- To top it all off, an average active Facebook user will click on ads eleven (11) times every month or one for every three days. The figure implies users still engage and pay attention to Facebook ads.
You have a lot to look forward to in Facebook’s state of Advertising in 2020 from relevant and timely statistics. Furthermore, the stats and facts we discussed above are vital in helping you anticipate Facebook marketing trends and prepare a data-driven web design campaign parallel with your digital marketing efforts.
Achieving your long-term objectives can be possible through comprehensive data and a best-in-class digital marketing strategy. G Squared recommends outlining your brand objectives first, then using our data to develop a groundbreaking digital marketing campaign.
Still have questions? Call us at (02) 9339 4500 or submit an enquiry and speak with us today.